Friday, December 10, 2010

Cancer

Eric, Brennan and I are doing AOK. We've all but forgot about Lymphoma this weekend because it was Brennan's first birthday!!!! I can't believe it.

But, we have been forewarned - Do not underestimate Cancer/Chemo or Radiation. We'll know more Monday (dum dee dee dee - today).

I'm not a Doctor and I don't even play one on TV, but here's what I think my course of treatment will be based on nothing more than internet research and two books that I looked at this morning.

1. Do a bone marrow biopsy. It's quick. Can be painful, but more likely it'll just be a blip in the road.
2. Have a PET scan. It's not much different than a CT Scan. Why they have you do both and not just a PET I have no idea.
3. Start chemo through my veins. They can insert a port if you're doing 6 or more treatments (I think I"m doing 8). This one is really up in the air. I think 60% without a port.
4 8 rounds of chemo start before Christmas. I think I'll go in for 3.5 hours every two weeks for 4 months.
5. Then, start photon radiation for 1 month. I have a 5 by 7 cm mass by my lung which I think qualifies me for radiation which I would really rather not get. Perhaps they can do proton (v. photon aka electrons) radiation which exposes you to less radation. Radiation can cause secondary cancers ... usually 30 years down the road ... or so I think.

Now, I'm back to being Kari because I think I would make a poor doctor. So, let's see what the experts say today. I've been on edge this morning and last night.

Until tomorrow.,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment