Saturday, December 18, 2010

A blip in the road

Bone Marrow Biopsy - So, we had a blip in the road on Thursday. I was meant to go to the hospital and have three tests: a bone marrow biopsy, a MUGA, and a PET. The Nurse Practitioner was half way through the bone marrow biopsy, when I suddenly proclaimed that I was ........... going to vomit. This was proceeded by me listless on the surgical table for about 5 seconds ... yes yes ... I passed out or so I heard. It was a first for the nurse practitioner. They had to stop the procedure and bring me some orange juice. They also had to cancel my other tests.

For anyone getting a bone marrow biopsy, it's like a root canal. It happens over time. The quickest bone marrow biopsy is 30 minutes, but think of it as a 45 minute procedure. Think of it as a root canal done in your back. When they tell you that it's done in your hip, they mean your hip bone. In layman's terms, they are cutting (the tiniest) incision in your back (less then a cm). If I would have gone in there thinking root canal of the back, I would have felt better prepared. (and I wouldn't have asked "are we almost done" every 5 minutes.)

What I didn't mention in all of this was that my friend Jackie came with me, held my hand, stroked my hair, told me stories to take my mind off the procedure, wheeled me to the car in a wheel chair, carried my purse, drove me home, made sure I was in good hands at home, told me that it was going to be alright, and was just all around loving. I am truly blessed with friends who teach me all the time how to be a better friend. What a miracle.

Anyway, the fainting spell was probably a mix of nerves and the flu. I left the office very nauseous, and continued with nausea and fever for the next 24 hours. The worst part is that they were only half way done with the biopsy when I fainted, so I'll need to do it again. Ah well, this time I'll know what I'm in for. (I believe that next time they'll also give me a little something to take the edge off.)

MUGA, PET, visit with my "experienced" GP, and follow-up with the surgeon on Monday. Until then....

By the way, did you notice how close my self-diagnosis was to my actual diagnosis? You did? Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment