- Radiation Oncologist at Northwestern - April 7th
- Medical Oncologist at University of Chicago - April 7th
- Radiation Oncologist at Stanford - April 12th
The Oncologist from Standford is Dr. Richard Hoppe. He wrote the medical textbook - Hodgkin Lymphoma - and he's our medical oncologist's friend. Our Oncologist thinks he may agree with no radiation even though he's a Radiation Oncologist. I'm hoping everyone is in agreement because it will make my decision easier. No radiation is generally for those patients with favorable Hodgkin's. I found out at my last appointment that I am officially considered unfavorable. To be unfavorable, you need to have at least one of the following (these qualifications vary quite a bit from program to program, but here's an example):
1. male (we always knew they were unfavorable)
2. Age greater than 45 (hmmm... my husband is but you don't get older from osmosis.)
3. Sed Rate without B symptoms OR >30 with B symptoms (I don't qualify, but I am just on the cusp of qualifying)
4. Greater than or equal to 4 lymph node sites (I have 4 sites and maybe even 5 sites)
5. 10 cm growth inside mediastinum (My largest growth inside the mediastinum is 6cm, but outside it's 9cm. Some programs say it can be inside OR outside the mediastinum which is the center of our chest. So again, I'm closer to qualifying than I want to be.)
As my doctor said, I am borderline. If I was favorable (and I'm not) and I did not have radiation, I would have an 87% chance of FFP (FFP basically means that I won't have a Hodgkin Lymphoma relapse). If I was favorable and I did have radiation, I would have a 94% chance of FFP. Having radiation comes with long term risks. Mainly, heart disease, lung cancer and breast cancer ... breast cancer especially may increase to as high as 50 times more likely than the average person 20 years post treatment.
Now Kari you ask.. what the heck does that mean. You just said you're not favorable ... what are the stats on not favorable. I don't have a good answer for you because many of the studies that have been done are stopped because too many people relapse without radiation (Sounds scary, but I guess a few percentage points is considered too many people... I'm not sure where the line is drawn. Also, many times these unfavorable studies include people who are stage III and IV so the data is skewed). The studies for unfavorable tend to concentrate on how much radiation and chemo to give not whether or not to give radiation.
Kari ... you're sounding like a lunatic ... why wouldn't you get radiation. ENTER ... the clean PET scan. In the last few years, doctors have started to use the early PET scan to help determine treatment. None of the favorable/unfavorable indicators can hold a candle to the early PET scan in determining whether or not a patient will or will not relapse. About 80% of patients have a clean early PET scan (actually it's 85% of favorable patients and 72% of unfavorable patients) and I am luckily one of the 72%. There are a whole bunch of studies that have just started or are ongoing regarding the early PET scan, but there aren't a lot of results yet ESPECIALLY for those considered unfavorable.
Now, you know .... you know all of it ... the dilemma ... the gamble. My doctor said that if I were his daughter, he would not do radiation. We'll see what the other three docs say. We have about 2 weeks to make the decision. We'll keep you posted.
HAIR WATCH (the crowd favorite) - I still have hair on my head. My eyebrows are intact and so are my eyelashes (though thinning). I don't have a lot of leg hair though. I have only been washing my hair twice a week. Someone told Eric the less you mess with it, the longer you'll have it and I took that to heart. I try not to touch it ... ever. Yes yes... I look like I should break out into song ..... grease lightning!
LIBRARIAN WATCH - So, there is a cancer library at Northwestern hospital. I called and spoke to the librarian. She is doing some research on radiation for me, and will be sending me lots of reading material tomorrow morning. She has access to a lot more material than I do. Yeah for librarians! They are similar to Fire Fighters .... everyone loves librarians!
I think it's GREAT that are you are doing so much research and getting informed. As you know, the whole thing is a bit of a crap shoot and at the end of the day you really only care about a statistical universe of one - you! I know that the angst of not having any obvious way forward can be hard. But keep doing the good work of researching what's best for you. I'm looking forward to some weekend 20 years from now when E, you, S and I will all meet and look back on the successful journeyed made through this illness!
ReplyDeleteGeorge - E and I really appreciate your support, and we think about you and your journey all the time. I definitely think that weekend 20 years from now will be great, but I'm thinking also about the Hodgkin-free weekend in 2011 when we are both well-beyond this world of treatment centers. You or Susan may even get me back on my bike whether along Lake Shore Drive in Chi-town or up in the Boulder Mountains. E and I will take you to our incredible world of tiny tots. I want to meet (in person) a second person who once belonged to the same club as I did!!
ReplyDelete