So, I caught a cold. I don't feel bad, but I have a very minor stuffy nose and a wimpy cough. When I told the nurse, she said "to avoid hospitalization and missing future chemo treatments, we want you to take a strong antibiotic." To that I had nothing to say except - where do I pick up the prescription? In the past I used to baulk at antibiotics, but I am clearly a changed woman. Bring it on. Brennan had a fever of 102.5 all day last Wed (poor little guy! He's doing just fine now.) To say I'm thankful to only have the common cold is an understatement. My white blood count is very low, so my ability to fight off infection is also very low. Sometimes patients with low white blood count have elevated monocytes (immature white blood cells) which can also fight off infection, but alas, my monocytes are normal (most of the time, normal is exactly where I want to be, but not in the world of monocytes - who knew).
I also have odd dots on my finger tips which I'm going to have looked at tomorrow by a dermatologist that specializes in chemo side effects. I'll keep you posted. Then on Thursday I'm going to the OBGYN for a 3 month Lupron shot. I actually received a one-month Lupron shot in February. Lupron is an odd drug - basically it fakes my body out into thinking it's in menopause. This may or may not help with fertility after treatment is over. We'll see; the studies that have been done are all inconclusive. It does give me hot flashes which are annoying, but not a big deal so far.
Otherwise, we are 9 days away from being half way through chemo! Whoooo Hooooo!
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment