Brennan woke up this morning at 6am which is way too early. But, I knew that the weather was supposed to be warm today, so we stuck our noses out to see if it was warm enough to go outside. To my pleasant surprise, it was not only warm, but it was short-sleeve weather (surprise - not all warm weather is short-sleeve weather ...). That might not mean much to those of us in warmer climates, but to a Chicagoan, the first few days of real spring weather are equivalent to a salad after six months of chemo.
Needless to say, we had a wonderful morning. Brennan watched a dog chase a tennis ball for fifteen minutes and then he crossed a jungle gym bridge by himself (big stuff in my little man's world).
I think if you could actually squeeze the love out of me, I may drip forever; I love the darn kid so much.
There's a book my mother-in-law gave to Eric and I before we had Brennan that talks about how warm and happy a baby is inside his mother's womb. He has an angel with him that keeps him safe and answers all his questions. Then one day he has the traumatic experience of birth. It's no longer warm, no longer dark, and he can no longer see his angel. He asks his angel - what's this all about? (probably not those words) His angel says that he's in the bigger world and that over time he will start to find things in this bigger world that he likes. She says that she'll always be around if he needs her, and when he's ready to leave this world, she'll come back to see him again.
In my mind Brennan and all tiny tots are as close to being perfect as humanly possible (unless we're enlightened and some people I believe are pretty close). My goal is to help Brennan hold on to as much of that perfection as he can.
He swatted at my face this morning. Most of the time he does that because he likes checking out mamma's face, but today I think it was because he's seen other kids do it. I kissed his hand and sent him on his way. I realize that we're only at the beginning, and I can only hope that I'm worthy of such a daunting task.
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment