Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Update

The flaming mouth is gone. The stomach flips are gone. The body aches have decided to stay awhile. It was suggested to me to call my nurse practitioner today to tell her about the persistent aches.; I called this morning. She said that the body aches could be from my bone marrow working. Now, the bone marrow produces blood cells, so I assumed (you'd never know I didn't go to med school) that my bone marrow was working to make white blood cells. The blood is made up of platelets (clotting), red blood cells (oxygen transporters), and white blood cells (resist infections), and my white blood cell count was low before chemo number 2. Wouldn't my bone marrow be working to produce the cells that are low?

Assuming I'm right (big assumption), Eric and I found it interesting that acupuncture's main benefit is keeping my white blood count high. Now do you follow? Acupuncture is causing me to ache while it helps to keep up my white count. ummmm... yeah.

More importantly, the nurse practitioner told me to take a Norco (instead of Tylenol which can be dangerous if you overdo it ... Tylenol more dangerous than a narcotic? ummmmm); it's half narcotic and half tylenol and it relieved my body aches - yeah! It has since worn off, and I'm still doing AOK without taking more. I think I'm over the hump.

I'm not sure I explained the hump yet. My chemo will make me feel ill (generally) on the second to third day after chemo and it can last 3 to 7 days. Then I'm good to go until the next round of chemo. I started feeling ill on day 3 and it lasted until day 6ish. Hopefully, I'll get to bore you with how good I'm feeling until chemo number 3 on Feb 2nd.

On a very good side note, Brennan and I had a wonderful day. We walked to Target. We walked to the library. Brennan learned how to "Woof" like a dog! B and I had a blast. (Yes I was a bit loopy after my Norco which may have added to our joy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment