Saturday, January 8, 2011

Prognosis

During all of the excitement last Wednesday, I did ask my Oncologist what my prognosis was since he now had all of my tests back. The last of the tests (The Pulmonary Function Tests) were completed two days prior. He said that I was stage 2a and that I was mostly "favorable." I believe we talked about this earlier, but basically my Oncologist says that "favorability" is actually more important than stage. I had "favorable" scores on most tests. The only test that he said was not "favorable" was the CT Scan - I have Lymphoma in four lymph node groups. "Favorable" generally means no more than two groups. He didn't think this was a problem though; he gave me a 95+% chance of being cured from Lymphoma.

I will have another PET Scan in two months; it is important that this PET Scan is free of Cancer. A cancer-free PET will help me to avoid radiation which can cause secondary cancers 10, 25, 30 years down the road.

1 comment:

  1. That's great news that your prognosis is so good. I've always thought that when dealing with cancer, you really only care about a statistical universe of one - you. However, having said that, a prognosis # north of 90 is certainly something to cheer about. Just caught up with your other posts and I'm happy to see you've got all the staging diagnostics behind you. Once you get your fever under control, you'll be ready to rock and roll and start getting the chemo that will get you better! I hope you tolerate the chemo ok and we'll be sending lots of positive energy your way.

    ReplyDelete